Our Guide To Queenstown will ensure you get most from your Queenstown visit.
Located in the South Island beside pristine Lake Wakatipu, with wonderful views of the Remarkable Mountain Ranges it is an area that appeals to a wide audience.
Every guidebook or travel review you read will be unanimous in labelling Queenstown… “One of the finest travel destinations in New Zealand.”
- Arrowtown, take an guided tour from Queenstown or if you are self-driving it’s a 20-minute drive. Arrowtown is a historic gold mining town – a pleasant step back in time… several tourist attractions offer you the chance to try your luck panning for gold, just don’t expect to find large nuggets! as prospectors from around the world have been working this area since May 1861 when gold was first discovered.
- Skippers Canyon, if you are an experienced driver with the appropriate vehicle? the road to Skippers should be on your “To Do List” but if you are travelling via rental car or camper – don’t do it! (your insurance won’t cover you on this road) plus if you have little or no experience in driving narrow winding goat tracks, be warned “this is not a road on which to learn gravel-driving techniques” … it would be best to relax and take one of the many organised tours from Queenstown – for more information on the highlights of this amazing area visit this DOC page.
- Ernslaw Historic Steamer, cruising Lake Wakatipu on the 1914 historic coal driven steamer, the “Ernslaw”
- walking the local trails
- play golf on the world class golf course
- try your luck at trout fishing
- fill your lungs with pure mountain air, try hiking in the Queenstown area or surrounding National Parks
- if tasting fine wine is your passion, join a wine tour and visit the nearby boutique wineries.
Queenstown attractions are endless – You may need to visit more often?
As well as unique natural attractions Queenstown and the surrounding area offers an excellent range of accommodation – from budget hostels through to Boutique B&Bs to amazing Luxury Hotels all located in stunning locations with magical lake or mountain views.
The downside, unfortunately, Queenstown is a very popular destination all year round so booking well ahead to secure any type of accommodation is necessary.
If your travel plans don’t include luxury hotels, you prefer to move at your own pace? A practical popular option with Kiwi’s and many well-informed Tourists is to travel with your own private room – in the form of a campervan,
Campervans are especially useful during both peak periods, December to early February and the winter ski season June to early October when any good accommodation in Queenstown is fully booked.
So think ahead or think outside the square.
You too can enjoy the flexibility of your own transport, kitchen, accommodation in one vehicle… Rent a campervan then you can freely travel more interesting backroads of New Zealand.
Video – Queenstown Attractions
Active outdoor types will find a lot to do in the Queenstown area it is Mecca for mountain bikers, hikers, deer hunters, fishermen or fisher women. Some activities depend on the season, though you will find most are available all year round.
Skiing In Queenstown
Queenstown is also the hub for avid Kiwi Skier’s visiting the South Island, there are numerous ski fields in the Queenstown area most cater for families equally as well as the serious adrenaline-crazed downhill skier.
When mainstream skiing is not doing it for you anymore perhaps you are looking for something special – try Helli-Skiing.
If your main interest or purpose when visiting New Zealand is snowboarding or skiing you would be well advised to base yourself in Queenstown, even when relaxing off the ski field it is a fun frantic place with great cafe’s and pumping nightlife.
If you time it right, you could be in town for the Queenstown Winter Festival … normally held in June
- Bungy Jumping – Queenstown New Zealand is the birthplace of Bungy so it is a great opportunity for you to become a part of Bungy history, anybody can jump off a bridge with a rubber band tied to their legs? but not everyone can jump from the original bridge that is the birthplace of all commercial Bungy.
- If the weather is fine and windless… you may enjoy the view of Queenstown from 15,000 feet – if so take a tandem jump with Nzone skydive,
- Or just for the thrill of it… and the finest views in Queenstown try tandem paragliding, from the Skyline Gondola
- both the skydiving and paragliding activities are quite close to Queenstown and offer a magical perspective of the “Remarkable Ranges” Lake Wakatipu and surrounding mountains
If you suffer from vertigo and want your thrills to be a little closer to the ground, then there are two equally famous options… Shotover Jet or Rafting
Rafting or Jet Boat
Video – Shotover River Jet
Both activities are action packed and designed to thrill, the advantage of these options they are available to all ages and fitness levels.
Though be aware, the white water rafting is more hands on – you do have to paddle to survive, plus if the raft flips you will end up swimming – expect the water to be cold!
Choose the jet boat trip if you want a true “Sit Back And Be Thrilled” activity!
A few tips for the more sedate sensible, shall we say – less adventurous visitor…
If after a day or two of trying to experience all that Queenstown offers – if you are now feeling jaded, worn out or simply suffer from an overdose of adrenaline?
Then the 1 ½ hour cruise on the TSS Earnslaw is one way to wind down just sit back enjoy stunning views of Lake Wakatipu and Remarkable Ranges as you steam to your destination for a “nice cup of tea.”
The polite eco-travelers among you will pretend not to notice the black clouds billowing from the funnel of this “antique” coal driven boat.
The Destination – Walter Peak High Country Station.
As well as the man-made Queenstown attractions, you will be mesmerised by magnificent alpine landscape unique to the Queenstown and the South Island of New Zealand
Rest assured intrepid traveller, however, you travel whatever the time of year or weather conditions… just a few days in Queenstown will leave you with a lifetime of amazing never to be forgotten memories!
And that “I Believe” is the measure of a Successful Trip!